Green Giant Awards
Green Giants – 2015 Green Building Local Hero Awards Program
Here’s a little history
The Green Giants Award Program was created in 2013 as a biennial awards program by our chapter to honor the work of tradespeople, educators, and owners/program directors who help build, teach about, envision, and fund the green buildings in Hampshire, Hampden, Franklin, and Berkshire counties. The event was sponsored this year by Peoples Bank and the US Green Building Council Massachusetts–West Branch (USGBCMA-West).
Green Giants is intentionally distinct from other building design awards in its attempt to look at and honor a wider range of participants behind the sustainable building movement in our region.
In the Trades Category
The Green Giants Program sought to recognize individuals from any building trade or maintenance program who have gone the extra mile to ensure that a building (or campus) meets its sustainability goals.
- Honorable Mentions: Sean Jeffords, Beyond Green Construction, nominated by Megan McDonough; Joe Miles and Andy Clogston of RK Miles Lumber Yard, nominated by Jonathan Wright
- Runner-up: Kent Hicks, Kent Hicks Construction, nominated by Marc Rosenbaum
- Green Giants Winner: Mark Newey for his work at the Center for Eco Technology, nominated by Thom Barry
In the Educational Programs Category
- Honorable Mention: NESEA-Building Energy PRO-TOURS, Miriam Aylward & Jenny Goldberg, nominated by Jonathan Wright
- Runner-up: Kathleen Lugosch, Professor& Master of Architecture Program Director, Umass, nominated by Kylie Landrey
- Green Giant Award Winner: The UMASS Building Construction and Technology Department, nominated by Alexander C. Schreyer
For the Owner Category
The Green Giant program also recognized owners and institutions who have envisioned and funded an exemplary green project, knowing that without their vision and money none of this would happen.
- Honorable Mention: Wright Builders for their investment in green construction at Village Hill, nominated by Mark Dunn
- Runner-Up: Jonathan Lash and Hampshire College for their investment in the R.W. Kern Center, nominated by Aelan Tierney
- Green Giant Winner: Amy Johns, Director, Zilkha Center for Environmental Initiatives, Class of 1966 Environmental Center, Williams College, nominated by Charley Stevenson
For more info: http://usgbcma.org/sites/default/files/images/2015%20Green%20Giants%20poster_2.pdf